Monday 26 June 2023

Ottawa Marathon 2023, OR: How I learned that race planning is critical

I ran the 2023 Ottawa Marathon in 03:47 and change. That's 50 seconds faster than what I managed at the Toronto Waterfront Marathon last Fall. My friends tell me that adjusting for the heat, that’d be 5 minutes or so better than my previous PB. Given that I injured myself and only got 8 weeks of proper training in, I’ll take it. 

A couple lessons:

1. Race strategy is essential - I ran at least 0.6km more than I needed to, which probably added 3 or so minutes to my overall time. Do I run tangents to all the road curves? Do I maintain a certain position on the road? 

2. Hills - there weren’t any major hills that I can remember, but there were several small ones all along the course. My strategy was to use more power at each hill because I fear losing momentum more than anything else. Lost momentum means I’ll have to play catch up on my pace. I’d rather use energy to maintain pace than potentially save a little when the hills hit. Is this the right way to do things?

3. Nutrition and hydration: oh man. I continue to learn how much of an idiot I’ve been during ALL my previous races. Mumbai? No gels. Ladakh? No gels. Ooty? No. Gels. Toronto 2022? Three gels. I went into Ottawa race week fully intending to manage with 5 gels, starting at 21km and proceeding at 5km intervals thereafter. Laughable. I got some advice to start at km 7 and proceed at 7 km intervals after, which I decided to follow religiously (and enabled by buying a metric fuckton of gels that week for good measure). Unlike other regrettable races from my shady past, I started the water and electrolyte intake at the first station seeing as the race conditions were reminiscent of a desert in the summertime. A wise choice. 

4. Friends - BlackToe running is awesome. Having your teammates cheer you in the final few kms is energizing in a way I can’t easily describe. It isn’t an exaggeration to say that they made the difference to me completing the race at least a couple of minutes faster. 

5. Strength training - a lesson I should have learned ages ago but continue to ignore. That’s where my injury came from, but I was lucky to recover just in time thanks to physiotherapy and a month and a half of gym. I will not repeat this error ever again. Welcome to actual race training. 

Okay then! Onwards to the next race and the BT cheer squad. It’s going to be epic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment