Monday 13 May 2024

Post non-marathon reflection: Toronto 2024

I pulled out of the 2024 Toronto marathon six weeks shy of race day. The combination of lingering fatigue from a late 2023 illness, work stress, and, well, life, meant that I ran out of gas before even reaching the start line.

That ended a three-marathon streak I began in Fall 2021 when I ran the Toronto Waterfront Marathon. 

As of today, May 13 2024, I have run less than 10km in the last 6 weeks. Building back won't be pretty, but it'll get done in time for Berlin.

A couple of thoughts:

1. Withdrawing from the race was more emotional for me than I thought. The sight of friends training together, struggling together, and, ultimately, succeeding together, left me with some real regret.

2. That being said, I think I made the right decision. The whole "listen to your body" thing exists for a reason, and I'm glad I took it seriously. There will be more races to run.

3. That being saidx2, I think I could have continued light training even when I was off running. Think the elliptical, or maybe an exercise bike. Point noted for future reference.

I'm not starting this build in a state of health that's optimum, but it'll have to do. Let's go.

Edit:

I said fuck it and ran the Ottawa marathon a few weeks later. I ran it slow and took in the Rideau Canal, the turns on the course, the pretty houses and hills, the farmland, and generally had a good time.


No comments:

Post a Comment